Thursday, December 16, 2010

For those going thru some kind of Ginger with drawl

It has been brought to my attention that I need to step up my blogging game. So here I am writing just for you 13 people. I am not sure what exactly you want to read about. Maybe I should tell you about my new job. After all working in a truck stop restaurant is full of fun stories.
Back in August there was rumor that my unemployment was going to end soon so I panicked and got a job. Desperate times call for desperate measures. What started out as a source of income switched to one day a week. My unemployment had not stopped after all. Since I already agreed to take the job I felt obligated to stick it out. I am glad I did. Cause here I sit now with no unemployment. Tips from dirty truck drivers is what I rely on now. I am grateful to have a job. It is easy money but it does take away from my time with my family. I work Friday to Sunday, mostly nights. Each day I work is sort of the same. I rarely see familiar faces. It is always someone new and of course 80% of my customers base is made up of dirty truckers. They are either covered in grease from their trucks or in desperate need of a hot shower. Now I know I am far from a playboy pin up but that does not deter these guys from making comments. I grew up in a bar with my Dad. For some reason back then it was acceptable to bring your kids to the bar with you. So being around dirty old men is sort of a past time for me. I have heard it all at some point in my life. What really throws me is these guys see the ring on my finger and I talk about my husband all the time... ( I know I am not married but I thought it would cut down on the some of the more ridic comments ) yet they never back down. They always make comments on how I must love sex cause I have so many kids. That is the tamer version of that comment. I even had a guy once tell me that I was lucky I lived so far away from him. Does that qualify as a pick up line? Aside from the constant crude remarks the day is fairly uneventful. Until last Sunday. I was working my usual shift and it was slower than normal. I was planning to leave early. My side work was almost complete and a young Latina woman came in and sat down. I went out to greet her and give her a menu. She asked if 45 minutes was enough time to eat. "45 minutes is plenty of time to eat" I told her. That is when she dropped the bomb she had 64 friends with her. IT WAS A BUS! This was my first bus in this restaurant. I have worked in food service for 11 years so a bus was nothing new. Usually they call ahead and at least warn you though. Needless to say all of the 65 people were Latina and spoke very little English. This made it tricky to take orders. As my team and I are running around trying to serve everyone. It made it a little more difficult because they did not sit right away. They were wandering like mules and grazing on my soup and salad bar. Before I knew it the bus driver was introducing me to the second bus driver. SECOND DRIVER!? Yes you heard it right. Not only did I have one bus with 65 I had a second with 45. That makes 110 non English speaking patrons. When the soup ran low it was like the end of the world. All of them were telling me as if I did not hear the first fifty tell me. Bad news we were out of soup. I could not remember who wanted it and who didn't. They were all still wandering. The clock was ticking and no one seemed to care but us. They all acted as if they had no deadline. That was until I took their orders then it was hurry hurry hurry. So I did what any normal person would do I stood up on a booth and yelled for every ones attention. I cannot whistle so I had to improvise. I made a general announcement about being out of soup and that they needed to sit down so that would could locate them. I am not sure if they understood what I said or not. All I know is the cheered and applauded my announcement of soup. They left as fast as they came. I had to stay late to help clean up and redo my side work but all in all it was a fun night.

No comments:

Post a Comment