Monday, December 20, 2010

Doing the right thing.

As I mentioned earlier I work at a truck stop restaurant. This past Friday I was just about finished with my shift, business was slow and they were going to let me leave early. The other waitress had asked if I would watch a few of her tables while she smoked one last cigarette. In the corner booth sat and older gentleman he was maybe 50 years old. He was still looking over the menu when I approached the table. I asked if he was ready to order. Apparently he wasn't cause he shot me a dirty look and continued to read the menu. As I walked away he asked me a number of questions about the menu. When I turned around to answer them I was hit with a cloud of whiskey. This man was highly intoxicated. He reeked of alcohol! His words were slurred and eyes glazed over. This was more than just one beer. At first I was willing to just walk away and pass this over to the next waitress. I rounded the corner and a picture flashed through my mind. Julie Webster sitting in the back seat of a car. Julie was a girl I went to high school with, I did not know her well. I don't even think we ever spoke a word to one another. I never will have that chance either. Julie was killed in a drunk driving accident this past July. Her boyfriend was driving he was way over the legal limit. She died and he lived. Doesn't seem fair does it? Her family is going through hell trying to get Justice for Julie. They have set up a face book page to help with that very process. I joined the page months ago and follow all of the work they are doing along with all of their pain. Her face was the one that made me turn back.
I walked back to the booth and asked the man how he got to the restaurant that night. He quickly replied with "I drove." My first thought was oh my this man is driving a big rig in this condition. I needed more clarification. So I asked what kind of truck he was driving a big one or little one? Again with out hesitation he said "A little one." You could tell my line of questions was making him uneasy. He started to to get agitated and then asked me where I was from. "State College, where are you from?" I said. He answered with "Right here." I then asked him how far he had to drive tonight and he again said "Right here." I told him that was a good thing and then advised him to keep drinking his coffee. That must have really made him mad because he then started telling me and the other customers that my questions were going to get me fired. "I beg to differ." I said as I walked to the office phone. I called Rockview State Police and alerted them of the issue. I did not want to further provoke this man fear that he would get up and leave before I was able to stop him. Needless to say Rockview parked along the road in both directions. I watched that man stumble to his car and finally drive away. Only to be pulled over just a few feet down the road. I let out a sigh of relief. That man was in no condition to drive. I am not positive he would of hurt himself or others if I had not stopped him. I do know that if it wasn't for Julie I may have never said a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment